Thai version

Wednesday, October 31, 2007

it was a really a big treat for a couple of country boys

However when the truck was full my brother Johnnie would take it to the elevator and unload the truck. I would usually stay at the combine and clean and grease it while my brother got the truck unloaded. Sometimes I went with my brother to the elevator to unload and sell the wheat from the truck. We usually went to a near by town called Opolis, that had the nearest elevator to unload the truck. Opolis was about 5 miles from our farm which was on the Missouri side of the state line and Opolis was on the Kansas side of the state line. When that you went to the elevator the first thing you did was to weigh the truck. You had to either stay in the truck or get out when this happened. Then you drove to the elevator. You had to get the front wheels onto a carriage. Then you went to the back and opened the tailgate of the truck. Then the hoist lifted the carriage that the trucks front wheels was on so it lifted the front of the truck causing the grain to spill out the back of the truck and into the open splits which lead to the auger that augured the wheat into the nearby awaiting railroad grain cars. When the truck was unloaded you had to drive back to the scales again and get the empty truck weighted. Then they gave you a ticket that showed how much wheat you had unloaded at the elevator. This weight ticket would later be brought to the elevator by our dad later and a check would be given to him for the wheat he had sold.

Later President Eisenhower would put a wheat allotment on the farmers and ruined or bankrupt all of the small farmers like us not allowing them to plant the amount of wheat that could keep the farm operating at a profitable margin.

Sometimes if Johnnie or I had any money and the time, we would stop at the store and get an orange soda and even a candy bar money permitting. It was a really a big treat for a couple of country boys.

Still there were times that Johnnie would stop the combine and I would drive the truck up to it to unload and the combine had broken down. We would work to get the broken part off. Then I would stay with the combine if something was to be done. If not I would go with Johnnie back to the house. We would get mother who would get dressed up and bring the check book. Before leavening she would want to know if that our shorts was clean. She always said if we got hurt and taken to a hospital she wanted clean shorts on us. Then we would drive over to Liberal Mo. Were the dealer was that we had bought the combine from. We would then get the needed parts, Mom would write a check for them. Then we headed back to get the combine repaired.

This went on all summer till the wheat was all combine. Then we had to put up the hay for the winter. When the hay was baled our job was to haul the hay to the barn and store it in the loft. We would load the bales on the truck then take them to the barn to unload.

When we had finished storing all of the hay we started the next work item. We planted the winter wheat. We first plowed the ground then disk the ground then we drilled in the wheat. When this was done it was time for school to start.

When that we had finished all of the combining that year Dad bought us all a present. It was a black and white television set. It was a 21 inch set. He had bought it from Montgomery and Wards and was our first TV set. We was able to get two channels, channel 7 KOAM which was on highway 69 south of Pittsburg, Kansas and channel 12 KODE which was in Joplin, Missouri.

No comments:

468_60 Ottster Blogger